THE SAIL CARGO ALLIANCE
The SCA unites passionate ship owners, brokers, buyers and producers. Working together under shared beliefs and ethics, we seek to create a healthy transport culture by transporting products globally under sail while ensuring that every stage of the supply chain promotes the preservation of the environment for future generations, from grower to buyer. We understand sail-powered shipping as a valid economic alternative that facilitates trade and shipping, empowering communities and individuals while ensuring the ability of future generations to enjoy the natural world that sustains us.
WHY SAIL CARGO TODAY?
The luxury of today’s “efficiency” in modern maritime transport, is unfortunately achieved only by allowing significant environmental degradation. Marine fuels (heavy oils) are extremely toxic. On land, they are considered hazardous waste and would require expensive and complicated disposal treatment.
• Heavy fuel oil consumption per day of a fully loaded, medium-sized container ship: 300 TONNES
• Annual CO2 emissions from shipping: 870 MIO. METRIC TONS
• Annual nitrogen oxide emissions: 20 MIO. METRIC TONS
• Annual sulfur oxide emissions: 15 MIO. METRIC TONS
• Premature deaths as a consequence of shipping emissions in Europe: 50,000